Today was definitely a very strong day, writing-wise. I am starting to catch myself cheating, mostly in little ways: adding extraneous words where they aren't needed (bad), or too much detail to a scene or an action (good - I'll at least have a best of breed when I'm done cutting).
During the writing grind I ended up watching Splice, since my wife was upstairs playing The Sims 3 and wouldn't have to sit through it. I predict that this movie is going to ruin the hobby of biohacking for everyone for years to come.
Here's what I learned from watching Splice (vague spoilers ahoy):
- While those two bright-eyed young biohackers might be brilliant, they will fuck up your company's bottom line and may very well get you killed. If they won't wear a damn lab coat, fire them immediately.
- Ask about your girlfriend/wife's childhood after a few years. Her childhood traumas will eventually bite you in the ass.
- Don't let your girlfriend/wife talk you into a child you don't want.
- Don't let your girlfriend/wife talk you into a blasphemy of science you don't want.
- Never do a live show with animals.
- Genetically-altered animals will change their gender, not because of environmental pressures, but just because they damn well feel like it.
- The proper way to discipline your blasphemy of science is to tie it down, strip it naked, and mutilate it while speaking into a tape recorder. Because that will teach it to behave.
- You can get yourself covered in all sorts of genetically-altered bodily fluids without any ill-effects whatsoever.
- Do not fuck your science experiments.
- Do not allow your science experiments to fuck you.